Who has to register as a landlord?
All property owners of rental dwellings/units within the Township of Piscataway.
Owners of dwellings of three families or more must also register with the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs. While the owners are not subject to pay the landlord registration fee in Piscataway Township, they will need to submit the application, lease and all appropriate information.
How long is the landlord registration valid?
A landlord registration is an annual registration valid from January 1st to December 31st every calendar year regardless of the date the property was first registered.
How do I register my property?
Provide the following seven items to the Piscataway Township Housing Certificate of Occupancy Office:
- Landlord Identity Registration application completed
- Landlord Identity Registration application fee
- Municipal Certificate of Continued Occupancy (MCCO) application completed
- MCCO fee
- Proof of liability insurance coverage in the amount of no less than $500,000 for combined property damage and bodily injury to or death of one or more persons in any one accident or occurrence. This is state mandated for all rental dwelling unit owners.
- A valid Lead Safe Certificate is required for all rental units built prior to 1978 or the property is certified Lead Free under the New Jersey Lead Safe Act.
- Current copy of the lease
If this is a renewal of a Landlord Identity Registration and an MCCO was already issued with the current tenant’s name(s), you must attach a copy of the MCCO to the Landlord Identity Registration form as a new MCCO application is not required. If there is a change of tenancy and/or if an MCCO has not been issued, you will need a new MCCO prior to any new tenant(s) occupying the property.
How do I pay my fees?
Checks and money orders made payable to “Piscataway Township.” Cash is accepted but it is strongly recommended to not put cash in the postal mail but only provide if placed in our 24-hour dropbox.
Where do I provide my application(s) and fee(s)?
Either mail them to the following address or put in the dropbox outside of the Township Public Works building:
Piscataway Township Landlord Registration
Attn: Ms. Julie Britton
505 Sidney Road
Piscataway NJ 08854
What if I have questions?
Please contact the Township Housing Certificate of Occupancy Office at (732) 562-2393 or email@example.com.