Landlord Registration

If you are a landlord in the Township of Piscataway, you must:

1. Provide a new landlord registration every year to the MCCO Office when renting out property, along with an MCCO Rental Property Application each time tenants change.

2. Obtain a Lead Safe Certificate after a visual inspection of any rental property. This is required by the State's Lead Safe Act and regulated by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (DCA). The inspection must be done either by the Township or a state-approved contractor. For a Township inspection, please complete the Lead Safe Inspection Request Form and mail it to the MCCO Office (full address below) or place it in the drop box outside of the Township Public Works Center. For more information, please click here.

Piscataway Township Lead Safe Inspection
Attn: Ms. Julie Britton
505 Sidney Road
Piscataway NJ 08854

Please see below for additional information based on frequently asked questions.

Who must register as a landlord?

All property owners of residential rental dwellings/units within the Township of Piscataway.

Owners of dwellings of three families or more must also register with the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs.  While the owners are not subject to pay the landlord registration fee in Piscataway Township, they will need to submit the application, lease and all appropriate information.

How long is the landlord registration valid?
A landlord registration is an annual registration valid from January 1st to December 31st every calendar year regardless of the date the property was first registered.

How do I register my property?
Provide the following seven items to the Piscataway Township Municipal Certificate of Continued Occupancy (MCCO) Office:

If this is a renewal of a Landlord Identity Registration and an MCCO was already issued with the current tenant’s name(s), you must attach a copy of the MCCO to the Landlord Identity Registration form as a new MCCO application is not required.  If there is a change of tenancy and/or if an MCCO has not been issued, you will need a new MCCO prior to any new tenant(s) occupying the property.

How do I pay my fees?
Checks and money orders should be made payable to Piscataway Township. Cash is accepted; however, it is strongly recommended that you do not put cash in the postal mail and only provide if placed in our 24-hour drop box.

Where do I provide my application(s) and fee(s)?
Either mail them to the following address or put in the drop box outside of the Township Public Works building:

Piscataway Township Landlord Registration
Attn: Ms. Julie Britton
505 Sidney Road
Piscataway NJ 08854

What if I have questions?
Please contact the Municipal Certificate of Continued Occupancy (MCCO) Office at (732) 562-2393 or