100 % Disabled Veterans or Surviving Spouses
100% totally disabled war veterans or their unmarried surviving spouses are granted a full property tax exemption on the house in which they reside. To qualify you must be an honorably discharged disabled veteran who had active service in time of war in the US Armed Forces, or the unmarried surviving of a disabled veteran. Unmarried surviving spouses of services persons who died in active service in time of war also qualify. Wartime service connected disability must be certified by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. The disabled veteran or surviving spouse must be the full owner and permanent resident in the dwelling and be a legal resident of New Jersey (in the case of surviving spouses, the deceased spouse must also have been a legal resident of New Jersey). Applications must be filed with the municipal tax assessor. You may click on the following link for additional information and an application.
To download a Disabled Veteran Application, click Disabled Veteran Application Form
Senior Citizen/Disabled Persons/Surviving Spouse
An annual $250 deduction from property taxes is provided for the dwelling of a qualified senior citizen, disabled person or their surviving spouse. To qualify you must be age 65 or older, or a permanently and totally disabled individual or the unmarried surviving spouse, age 55 or more of such person. You must be a legal resident of New Jersey, you must own and reside in the dwelling for which the deduction is requested and your income can not exceed $10,000 during the year for which the deduction is claimed, excluding with restrictions, monies received from social security, federal and state pension, disability and retirement programs. Applications must be filed with the municipal tax assessor. Applicants must submit an Application, Supplemental Income Form, Federal Income Tax Form (for Senior Citizen/Surviving Spouse), Proof of Age and/or Social Security Award letter/Doctor's Certification (Disabled Person).
To download a Senior Citizen/Surviving Spouse/Disabled Person application, click on the following links:
- Senior Citizen/Disabled Person Tax Deduction Application
- Supplemental Income Form for Senior Citizen/Disabled Deduction
Veteran's Tax Deduction
Veterans are eligible for a $250.00 property tax deduction. Veterans must meet the following requirements as of October 1st of the pretax year:
- Honorably discharged with active wartime service in the U.S. Armed Forces (copy of DD214 required).
- Own property, wholly or in part, or hold legal title to the property for which deduction is claimed.
- Be a citizen and legal or domiciliary resident of New Jersey.
Surviving Spouse of a Veteran
The Surviving Spouse of a Veteran must meet the following requirements as of October 1st of the pretax year:
- Document that the deceased veteran or service person was a citizen and resident of New Jersey at death.
- Veteran had active wartime service in the United Stated Armed Forces and was honorably discharged or who died on active wartime duty.
- Surviving Spouse cannot be remarried.
- Be a legal or domiciliary resident of New Jersey.
- Own the property, wholly or in part, or hold legal title to the property for which deduction is claimed.
To download a Veteran's/Surviving Spouse application, click Veteran or Surviving Spouse Tax Deduction