Rights In Municipal Court
The following are your rights:
- You are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty without a reasonable doubt.
- You have a right to be informed of the charges against you.
- You have the right to remain silent, and anything you say may be held against you.
- You have the right to retain an Attorney.
- You have the right to be assigned a Public Defender if the Judge determines that you cannot afford an Attorney and there is a likelihood that if you will be convicted, you will either go to jail, receive a substantial fine, or your drivers license will be suspended.
- You have the right to request a reasonable postponement so that you have the opportunity to consult with an Attorney and prepare a proper defense.
- You have the right to testify or not testify on your own behalf.
- You have the right to subpoena witnesses to testify on your behalf.
- You have the right to appeal a decision within Twenty (20) days of conviction.