Records Section

Open Monday-Friday except for holidays
8:30 a.m.-12:20 p.m.
1:30-3:45 p.m.

Records Section - Office Manager Ms. Heather Eodice, (732) 529-2521


The Records Section is responsible for maintaining all official police reports and documents.  Both incident and motor vehicle accident reports are now maintained in the department’s computerized record keeping system.  Reports are available in person for a nominal fee.  Effective July 8, 2002 and in accordance with N.J.S.A. 47:1A-1:

  • Investigative reports are not public information.  Incident verifications for insurance purposes can be issued.
  • Arrest information can be released under certain criteria.
  • Most accident reports are public information.
  • Defendants charged with a crime or offense may request Discovery through the Municipal Prosecutor under Court Rules.
  • Domestic Violence Reports & Information and reports involving juveniles must be requested through the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.

While most reports are available to the public under the Open Public Records Act (OPRA), certain reports are not.  A summary of the procedures, forms and timetables for access are explained in more detail below.

What is a government records?

A government record is a physical record that has a government purpose and that is held by a public agency.  Under OPRA, the “physical record” includes any paper, written or printed book, document, drawing, map, plan, photograph, microfilm, data-processed or image-processed document, and information stored or maintained electronically or by sound recording.

What government records are accessible to the public?

Generally, all government records are accessible to the public except those that fall under the exceptions to public access set forth in OPRA.  These exceptions to public accessibility standards exist because of the legal principle that citizens have a reasonable expectation of privacy regarding records in possession of a public agency; because of public safety concerns; and because of the need to insure unfettered debate, discussion, and consideration of issues inside public agencies.


  • Autopsy reports                                   
  • Victim locations
  • Criminal investigative records   
  • Victim records
  • Credit card numbers                            
  • Division of Child Protection and Permanency (former DYFS) information
  • Social security numbers            
  • Electronic surveillance
  • Unlisted telephone numbers                  
  • Fingerprint cards
  • Drivers’ license numbers                      
  • Juvenile records
  • Domestic violence data            
  • Safety of persons or public

How do I obtain government records?

The procedure for obtaining government records from the Piscataway Township Police Department is fairly straightforward.  It is important to note, however, that you need to know what records you want.  In order for your request to be processed, you will be required to provide an accurate and specific description for each record sought.

Those who wish to obtain government records must file a records request via e-mail at or by FAX at (732) 529-2500.

The Records Section is also responsible for the release of towed/impounded motor vehicles, the expunging of criminal records, and microfilming old police reports/documents.