Towed Motor Vehicles
If your vehicle was impounded for the following reason(s); Driving While Intoxicated/Under The Influence (NJSA 39:4-50), Unregistered Vehicle (NJSA 39:3-4), Expired Registration (NJSA 39:3-4), Suspended Registration (NJSA 39:3-30), Driving While Suspended (NJSA 39:3-40), Uninsured Unlicensed Driver (NJSA 39:3-10) or Expired Driver's License (NJSA 39:3-10), you MUST obtain a Vehicle Release Authorization from the Police Department and you must meet the following requirements for the release of your vehicle:
- Proof of Ownership or the lawful authority to operate the motor vehicle using a Second Party Vehicle Release Authorization. This form MUST be notarized.
- Proof of valid registration.
- Proof of valid automobile liability insurance. NOTE that the recovery or salvage of a impounded motor vehicle by, or on behalf of, an insurer, financial institution or other lending entity, shall not require proof of valid motor vehicle insurance for that vehicle per NJSA 39:3-40.6.
- Proof of a valid Driver's License. If your Driver's License is suspended, revoked or expired, you may present two valid licensed drivers to drive you and your vehicle on your behalf.
- You meet the conditions of NJSA 39:4-50.22 if you were charged with DWI (NJSA 39:4-50). Specifically you must wait 12 hours from the time of your arrest to obtain a Vehicle Release Authorization.
NO vehicle impounded for criminally-related purposes can be released without prior authorization from the Investigator.
Vehicles seized for forfeiture purposes shall not be returned to the owner without written authorization from the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office.
Vehicle owners may opt to have their vehicle towed to another location from the impound location. In order to obtain a Vehicle Release *TOW ONLY* Authorization, you must meet the following requirements for the release of your vehicle:
- Registered Owner MUST be present with Proof of Ownership.
- Proof of valid automobile liability insurance.
- Tow Truck Operator MUST be present.
- Tow Truck Operator MUST present a valid Driver's License, valid registration and valid proof of insurance
Vehicle Release Authorizations are issued during the normal hours of operation of the Central Records Section, Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM until 12:30 PM and 1:30 PM until 3:30 PM.
A vehicle towed and stored by an approved tow operator, and not claimed by the owner for 20 business days is deemed abandoned. As per NJSA
39:10A-1, the Police Department being a public agency can sell the vehicle at a public auction. The owner of the abandoned vehicle is subject to a motor vehicle summons for NJSA 39:4-56.5, Abandoning a Vehicle on Private Property. Penalties for a first offense can include fines up to $500 and a drivers license suspension up to two years.